City of Ottawa Certificate of Merit Adaptive Use - H.M. Tory Building
2004
H.M. Tory Building, Carleton University
This $17 million dollar project includes the restoration and renovation of the original science building, which was built in 1958. The new program for the building replaced the existing 7,432 square metres of science labs with a one stop student/administration centre. New spaces include offices of the President, student administration, central student registration and advising, biology labs, instructional television, classrooms and seminar rooms, and a 200-seat theatre. All existing mechanical and electrical services were replaced. New ramps and elevators were installed to provide accessibility for the physically challenged.

Blue-tinted glass was used on the top two floors, which contain the administrative centre. Clear, low-e glass was used on the first, second, and third floors, which contain the student activities including labs, classrooms, and administrative student services. This project required the consultation of Environmental experts who maintained the existing landscape, and removed toxic and hazardous waste material.

In 2004, Edward J. Cuhaci and Associates Architects Inc. received a Certificate of Merit in the 'Adaptive Use' category, City of Ottawa, for the H.M. Tory Building.

Go To Project

© Edward J. Cuhaci and Associates Architects Inc. All Rights Reserved

conception + réalisation : volume2.ca