Precious Blood Convent
Ottawa, Ontario
Archdiocese of Ottawa
Precious Blood Convent on Echo Drive was built in 1921 in the neo-classical style. It was designed by Alphone Content, Architect. Our firm was retained for the restoration and extensive renovation project which was completed in three stages.

During the first stage, interior renovations of a sixty-five bedroom dormitory as well as the upgrading of life safety standards, and mechanical and electrical systems were implemented. In addition, a new loading dock was added and the windows were replaced. One of the main elements of this renovation was the conversion of the third floor into a ten-bed geriatric and chronic care unit. This unit has a complete support facility which includes nurses’ station and control centre; a doctor’s visiting room; a self-contained pharmacy; a special-diet kitchen and dining room; and a whirlpool and therapy room. A wheelchair lift was added to provide barrier-free access.

A new front entrance replaced the two existing unprotected exterior stairs. This new disgn created a “look as if it had always been there.” Exterior precast concrete detailing was also developed to closely resemble the original stone details while at the same time conserving the historical and architectural features of the convent. As a result of the study, and based on the original design, the Sisters’ chapel was restored. The work included restoration of the vaulted ceiling as well as the addition of column capitals.

The total renovation/restoration work achieved a delicate symmetry which respects the building’s past, present, and future character.

The convent was eventually sold and converted to modern office buildings. It is currently occupied by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons.

© Edward J. Cuhaci and Associates Architects Inc. All Rights Reserved

conception + réalisation : volume2.ca